Friday, November 04, 2005

Date Scones














Date Scones - 2 points each

2 cups Self Raising Flour
1/2 cup of chopped dates
2 tablespoons Olive Grove Light Margarine
1 dessertspoon sugar (use more if you like them sweeter)
1 egg
3/4 to 1 cup of low fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 200 degrees C

Sift flour and salt and rub cold margarine into flour. Add chopped dates.

Whisk together 1 egg, sugar and then milk. Make sure sugar is dissolved. (keep a tiny amount for brushing scones)

Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in liquid. Mix with a knife to form a soft dough.

Roll out on floured surface (I use baking paper). Cut scones into 12 squares and place on baking tray lined with baking paper.

Brush tops of scones with a little of the beaten egg, milk mixture.

Bake in hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool wrapped in a clean tea towel.

When cool spread with low fat spread or I love them spread with Light Laughing Cow Cheese Spread (of course!)

I usually freeze these and when I feel like a scone for afternoon tea I just warm in microwave for 15 seconds.

1 comment:

missy vas said...

I made these last night - they were yummt! Thats 2 of your recipes that I have made that have turned out fantastically... You have restored my faith in baking.
vita x